The Obituary
II Dad: 01-03-1995 to 18-03-1999 II
Yes, he was physically born much
earlier but my misfortune that I looked at him as just ‘Dad’ after I fell in
love with my would be hubby. I was so swept off my feet and engrossed in the
new relation and new relatives that I didn’t realize that I was neglecting my
Dad. I had turned into a selfish person, just wanting Dad to get me married. I
didn’t see the emptiness that I was creating in my Dad’s world, especially since
after my parent’s got divorced. Dad had
raised me all by himself. I meant the whole world to him and he meant
everything to me.
I did realize my mistake one day.
So I wrote a letter to my dad, confessed, apologized, begged for forgiveness. I
didn’t get a reply. But then, I got an
opportunity to go home. I was in Chandigarh then and soon I would be going home:
My dad’s home, first time after getting married. The first thing I had decided
to do was to just give him a hug and say sorry for being so selfish. Then I had
planned on spending a good week with him, just him and me. Revive the good old
days! Make up for all the wrongs I had done to him.
But my bad luck, I missed the
scheduled train. For no fault of mine we reached the station late. Dad always scolded me for not being on time
and I used to disregard it. And now I
was about to learn the worst lesson of my life.
I took another train the next day and reached
Mumbai. Just four more hours to Pune and I would be back with my Dad. I was
revising my list of things to do with dad and was relieved to know that I was
going to get a chance to undo the damage. Yet again, my bad luck, the journey
took me more than 8 hours because of the highway construction. Finally, I
reached home. I had visualized my Dad opening the door with a huge smile, but, then
again….my worst luckL
I was redirected to a rickshaw
near a hospital. I saw him lying lifeless and cold on the back seat. He had
just passed away due to a massive heart attack. Fate had taken away my only chance
of making up. What followed next is too
painful for me to describe even today.
Some lessons in life are learnt
the hard way. There is still one more that he taught me even after his death. There
were some people who were with me all through the mourning days. I had not
invited them but they understood my need and stood by me. But then there were
others supposedly near ones who didn’t turn up even after inviting them. They
chose to hang on to their ego; pride and position satisfy their needs first rather
than standing with me through my worst phase.
Thus I learnt my lessons, never
forget your old relations, never disrespect time, and never take things and
people for granted. Identify and cherish people who will stand by you, uninvited.
Let go of the people or let go of the hope of changing the people who do not
budge even after someone’s death. Remember! If you cannot let go, you will have
to bow down to them always!
No comments:
Post a Comment